Many residents of Albany, NY and the Capital District welcome the arrival of spring. The annual spring cleaning ritual is more than a time to decide if you want to keep grandma’s hat. For many of us, it is also an opportunity to document family treasures that have monetary as well as sentimental value.
The agents at NY Twin Bridges Insurance Agency encourage you to take stock of your valuables. Here are some important steps to follow:
- 1. Create a Video of Your Valuables. Record them on the video and describe them as well. You can use the video functions on your smartphone or laptop.
- 2. Take Pictures. Photographs allow you to show details from your valuables, such as intricate jewelry patterns. Take pictures in the area of the home where the items generally reside.
- 3. Keep an Inventory of Valuables You Wish to Insure. You can create a handwritten list or simple spreadsheet. Capture as much information as you can, including serial numbers or other unique identifiers. Scan a copy of this list or save a digital file offsite. This information should accompany any video or photographic images you have taken.
- 4. Consider Professional Appraisals for Exceptionally Rare and Valuable Items. Appraisals cost money, but they may provide important information that explains why an item has great value. Check the policy limits available on your plan and consider an optional rider if necessary.
- 5. Keep Backup Copies of Documentation Offsite. Place content on a thumb drive or other digital media and store copies offsite, such as in your safe deposit box and another backup location. Be sure that you have more than one physical or electronic copy in case the original is destroyed or no longer functioning.
Contact NY Twin Bridges Insurance Agency in Albany, NY if you need to modify your homeowner’s policy.