518-608-5797 Facebook Twitter Linkedin Google+ YouTube Blog


mobile-callClick to Call
Twin Bridges Insurance Agency

1881 Western Avenue, Suite 210
Albany, NY 12203

google-mapGet Directions
Family in automobile

Is it legal for my independent child to be covered under my auto insurance policy in Albany, New York?

When it comes to auto insurance for young adults, the insurance rates are normally higher because young drivers are at a much greater risk of becoming involved in accidents. This becomes clear when you review the accident statistics in Albany, New York and other states across the country.

Auto insurance for young people is more costly

There’s no question that auto insurance can be a major expense for many young adults even if they’re working. You asked if it’s legal to keep a young, independent child on your policy. Your son or daughter can probably remain on your policy provided that your child is still living at home. Rather than taking out an individual policy for your teen, it’s usually cheaper to keep him, or her covered on the family policy if possible.

As your independent agent, we can help you. Before adding a child to your family insurance policy, you need some solid and informed advice about your own liability prior to changing the policy. Depending on the laws in New York State as well as how the policy is currently structured, there are potential liability issues for every family member listed on your policy in the event of an accident caused by your child. This is why it’s very important for you to contact us in order to speak with your independent agent in our Albany community so that you are fully informed.

State laws rule with auto insurance

Whether a family lives in Saratoga Springs, Schenectady, or Albany, it’s the state laws along with the provisions in your policy that govern the rules and regulations. It’s easy to find the best coverage for your budget in minutes by comparing insurance quotes with NY Twin Bridges Insurance Agency online.